Coscine is developed at the IT Center of RWTH Aachen University. The development is financed by third-party funds from different projects and programs. The following are involved in the funding:
- Coscine.nrw (funded by the Ministerium für Kultur und Wissenschaft des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen)
- Application of Interoperable Metadata Standards (AIMS) (funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) - project number 432233186)
- Funds from Excellence University Funding
- NFDI4Ing (funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) - project number 442146713)
- NFDI-MatWerk (funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) - project number 460247524)
- VVMethods (funded by the Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie)
A key element of Coscine is access for researchers to storage space on the Research Data Storage (RDS). RWTH is consortium leader of the RDS consortium, which consists of RWTH Aachen University, FH Aachen, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, TU Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen, Universität zu Köln. The goal of the consortium is to support research data management at the sites with scaling memory. For this purpose, funded by the Ministry of Culture and Science of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia (MKW: 124-4.06.05.08-139057) and the German Research Foundation (DFG: INST222/1261-1), a common distributed object storage system for central applications was procured and put into operation.